Open Source GIS

Just saw this linked from Sean's post. The quotes in there are absurd. But reminded me there's an important point in favor of OSS that I haven't seen.

You can still get help directly via the email list or IRC from F Warmerdam, it's primary author. Likewise for the developers of Mapserver and OpenLayers and PostGIS. I wonder if the lead developers of ESRI products spend their off-time perusing the forum's or mailing lists and answering questions? ( I don't know, they may. But I suspect not. )
There's something to be said for enjoying what you do. And I think that's very true in the case of those in the open-source community. Happy coders make better software. Any programmer that denies that will leave me flabbergasted.

I just don't understand how I could be effective only clicking the menus that were provided to me if I chose a black-box solution. But, call me crazy, I like linux.

Also, in these parts, if you lock your single-speed bike to a wooden chair, it'll get stolen regardless of the cost of the lock or the weight of the bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

filtering paired end reads (high throughput sequencing)

python interval tree

needleman-wunsch global sequence alignment -- updates and optimizations to nwalign